COVID Alert NY is the official New York Exposure Notification System app created by the New York State Department of Health in partnership with Google and Apple.
- Our free smartphone app will be available for download for users 18+ on the Google Play and App Store starting October 1, 2020.
- After downloading the COVID Alert NY app, you will be able to use your phone in the fight against COVID-19 and get exposure alerts, without compromising your privacy or personal information.
- COVID Alert NY is part of New York’s Contact Tracing Program and will enhance our efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 and keep New Yorkers informed.
COVID Alert NY helps you get timely updates on COVID-19.
- COVID Alert NY alerts users if they have come into close contact — within 6 feet for at least 10 minutes — with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, even before the app user may experience symptoms.
- Knowing about a potential exposure allows you to self-quarantine immediately, get tested, and reduce the potential exposure risk to your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and others.
- COVIDAlertNYusesBluetoothtechnologytoestimateproximitytootherphoneswithenabled Exposure Notification Service technology developed by Apple and Google.
COVID Alert NY protects your privacy and personal information.
- The app does not track your location or movement, use GPS, location services, or any movement or geographical information.
- The app will never collect, transmit, or store your personal information and is completely anonymous.
- Users must explicitly choose to turn on exposure notifications–and can turn it off at anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is COVID Alert NY?
COVID Alert NY is the official New York Exposure Notification System app. This free smartphone app is available for anyone 18+ who lives or works in New York. After downloading the app, you will be able to use your phone in the fight against COVID-19 without compromising your privacy or personal information. COVID Alert NY uses Bluetooth technology to alert users if they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. The app also allows user to log their symptoms daily, so they can check back and review at any time. And it keeps users up to date on the fight against COVID-19 in New York.
How can I download COVID Alert NY?
COVID Alert NY is available in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store starting October 1st.
Why is COVID NY important?
COVID Alert NY alerts app users of potential exposure, even before they may experience symptoms. Knowing about a potential exposure allows you to self-quarantine immediately, get tested and reduce the potential exposure risk to your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers or fellow students.
Is my privacy protected?
Yes. The COVID Alert NY app protects your privacy and does not collect or share any personal information that can identify you. The app does not use GPS navigation, cannot be used to track you and it doesn’t know if you should be self-isolating or quarantining. At all times, you are in control and remain anonymous.
How does COVID Alert NY work?
As an app user goes about their day, the COVID Alert NY app uses Bluetooth to sense when another person with the same app comes within 6 feet. Your phone exchanges a secure random code with the other phone to record that they were near.
If the app senses that you’ve been within 6 feet of someone for more than 10 minutes, the app adds their phone’s random code on a list of close contacts.
For those who test positive for COVID-19, a Case Investigator from the county health department will ask if the person is willing share the app’s list of “close contact” codes to help protect other people. Sharing your list is secure and private. The app never reveals who you are to anyone.
Each day, the list of codes for “confirmed cases” is sent to every phone that has the app. The app compares its own list of close contact codes to the list of confirmed cases. If there’s a match, the app displays a COVID alert. Using these lists of anonymous codes, the alert is kept private. No one ever knows who the COVID Alert comes from.
How can I learn more about COVID Alert NY?
Additional information can be found at ny.gov/covidalerts.