Applications should be emailed to the Town Clerk, Michelle Radley, at [email protected]. Applications must be received by Feb. 19th, 2021.
The Town of Ghent is seeking a qualified individual to serve as the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals Secretary. The Secretary provides general administrative support to both Boards. This position interacts with the Chairpersons, Zoning Enforcement Officer, applicants, their attorney’s, engineers, or other consultants. The Secretary will coordinate the meeting agenda and organize the distribution of pertinent materials to the Board and associated referral entities relevant to each application. The Secretary prepares notices, takes the minutes of the meetings, and drafts resolutions of approval.
The Secretary is responsible for maintaining all the records of the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals in an orderly fashion. These records include:
- Minutes of every meeting and public hearing.
- Applications and supporting materials received from applicants
- Documents or other materials submitted by Applicants or others at public hearings,
- Correspondence to and from the Board
- Any other official documents and materials related to Planning and Zoning business.
Required knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes: The candidate should have good knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal government organization, operation, and function. Familiarity with office procedures, including the use of simple office machines and filing systems. Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite with a focus on Microsoft Word; Experience in documenting conversations using note taking or typing/keyboarding; Should have an excellent ability to organize, follow protocols and meet deadlines. The ability to deal effectively with people.
Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience: Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and three years of experience in community planning work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience sufficient to indicate ability to do the work.
General Responsibilities of the Position
- Attend all Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings and hearings- The Secretary attends all Planning and Zoning meetings, and public hearings to take minutes and handle the paperwork during meetings. The Ghent Planning Board holds meetings the 1st Wednesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. The Ghent Zoning Board of Appeals holds meetings the 2ndWednesday of every month at 7 p.m. The Boards may schedule additional meetings and public hearings as needed.
- Take and keep minutes of all Board proceedings-The Secretary will take notes at every meeting of the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals. Video records of meetings shall be stated in the written minutes. The meeting notes combined with the recordings will be used as the basis for preparing the official minutes of the meeting. Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals meeting minutes are to be drafted one week after the meeting. Once adopted by the Board, the minutes will be filed in the Town Hall.
- Sends out Notices of Public Hearings-The Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals holds public hearings on a variety of topics, including consideration of land use applications (e.g., subdivisions, site plans and special permits). The secretary shall prepare notices, send the notice to applicants, abutters and the public. Notices must appear in the paper 5 days prior to the Public Hearing and must be submitted to the paper at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the publication date.
NOTE: During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings are held via Zoom. A working knowledge of the Zoom platform is required.