Building & Zoning Permits

A permit has been required for all uses in the Town of Ghent since 1979.

The town zoning code requires that all sheds placed or built onsite in the town of Ghent must have a permit. This applies to all sheds, with and without permanent footings. For buildings 50 square feet or less, a building permit is not required however a town zoning use permit is still required to verify the use is allowed and that minimum yard setbacks are met.

NYS requires permits for all swimming pools which are designed to hold more than 24 inches of water. This includes soft-sided storable pools with the inflatable ring at the top. All pools requiring building permits must conform to the code’s pool barrier requirements and applicable electric code.

Rebuilding an existing shed/deck/pool or any other structure requires a building permit to ensure the new work conforms to the current building codes. This is required by NYS law.

Fences require a permit. The maximum height for a fence in the Town of Ghent is 6 feet, regardless of the type of fence.

Replacing decking boards does not require a permit. Replacing deck joists or any other structural component requires a permit.

Rebuilding stairs on the front or back of your house requires a permit if it is part of the required egress from the house. Replacing stair treads does not require a permit.

No driveway shall be constructed, nor any building permit issued, nor any subdivision approved,
unless and until the owner has received approval in writing from the applicable state or local
municipal authority for the entrance location to the subject premises. If your new driveway is on a town road, contact the Town Superintendent of Highways for a driveway permit. A private driveway shall be set back at least five feet from the property line of any lot. This shall not apply to a shared driveway.

Any pond greater than 50 square feet in area requires a permit.